Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History

Website Search Box

Department ofBotany

Iiwi on Maui

Student Travel Awards

I. USA citizens or those enrolled in USA institutions (See below for Non-USA students)

While we do not as of yet have any funds available for financial aid for students we hope that in the near future we will be able to offer travel grants to current students who are US citizens or foreign nationals enrolled at a US institution. Graduate students from anywhere in the USA may apply, undergraduates must be enrolled in one of the 10 campuses of the University of Hawaii. To be eligible graduate students must present a contributed paper or poster at the conference whereas undergraduates are encouraged to present either a paper or poster, but are not required to do so. Travel grants to cover registration and transportation (if travelling to Oahu) will be awarded in 3 categories: 

  • students enrolled at Oahu campuses - $150 to cover conference registration,
  • students enrolled at campuses on other Hawaiian islands – up to $350 for conference registration and airfare, and
  • graduate students enrolled at a mainland campuses – up to $1,200 for conference registration and airfare. 

If you would like to receive consideration for a travel award should funds become available you must:

To apply please submit the following information as a combined pdf (if possible):

Family Name:
Given Names:
Institution and Department:
Mailing Address:
Degree Sought:  Undergraduate or Graduate
Award Category:  Oahu, other Hawaiian island, or mainland
Title of Paper or Poster and Copy of the Abstract:
Statement of Interest: (a short essay of 250 words maximum that explains     how attendance at the conference might impact your career)
Brief CV: preferably not more than 2 pages in length

If you are registered and have applied for a student travel award by 15 April 2011 and are ultimately unable to attend due to lack of funds the full amount of any registration fees you paid will be refunded to you.   If you are an award recipient, receipts will be required for reimbursement of actual travel expenses. 

II. Non-USA students enrolled in Institutions of higher learning in the Pacific.

There may be funding for students attending institutions on Pacific Islands other than Hawaii. Please complete steps 2 and 3 above (you do not have to register at this time).  Your application will be forwarded to the appropriate committee for consideration. 

[ TOP ]